Hiring the right heating company to do the job is crucial in the performance and efficiency of your new furnace. Before hiring anyone, heed these tips first so you know how to choose a furnace company you’d want to work with yourself:
- Do your own research.
- Ask family, friends, neighbors and colleagues for referrals.
- Call references and inquire how the contractor is like to work with.
- Look for special promotions.
- Schedule a home inspection.
- Secure a written proposal/ quotation.
- Sign the written proposal.
First Step: Do your own research.
Before hiring a furnace contractor, make sure he is licensed, bonded, and insured in the state where you live.
Check the make and model of your furnace. Inform the contractor of your furnace’s maintenance history.
Talk with the contractor and consult what’s best for your furnace and how it can heat your home efficiently without you spending so much money.
Second Step: Ask for referrals.
Ask family, friends, neighbors, and colleagues about contractors they’ve worked with in the past, what it’s like working with them and the quality of their work.
Third Step: Contact references.
Don’t hesitate in asking the contractor for references and talk to the company or the homeowner about how professional the contractor was.
Fourth Step: Look for special promotions.
Furnaces are major investments. First, determine your needs and look for the best deal. Find out if there are rebates as well as reward programs that you qualify for and if there are any tax benefits in buying more energy-efficient units than conventional ones.
Fifth Step: Schedule a home inspection.
Make sure the furnace contractor comes over your home and go over your home’s size, the number of windows and doors, and the quality of the insulation before they make any recommendations on the best furnace suitable for your home.
Sixth Step: Secure a written proposal/ quotation.
The highest and lowest estimate is not always the ideal choice. Make sure the furnace contractor chooses the right furnace that meets your home’s heating requirements.
Other factors to consider:
- Only work with reputable companies and contractors. Hire the one that has a good reputation in the industry and has an up-to-date license and certifications.
- Research them on the Web. Go with the ones that have outstanding reviews.
- Do you feel at ease letting them inside your home?
- Is the price reasonable?
- Can you reach them over the phone?
- Is their work of high quality?
- Do they begin projects but fail to finish them?
- Are they professional in the way they work and communicate with their clients?
- Are they easy to get along with?
It is a must for all homeowners to check out this list – and reward furnace contractors with your business along with a warm thank you. Ensure you ask for a written quote – so you know just what the job is all about and how much it will cost you.
Seventh Step: Sign the written proposal.
Before starting any work, make sure you have already signed the written proposal. It will safeguard you and your rights by indicating how much the work will cost you, the job schedule, model numbers, and details about the warranty.
It’s not hard to learn how to choose a furnace company with these step-by-step tips. Just remember not to be too lenient and accept excuses made by the contractor or accept a mediocre kind of work. Don’t accept anything less. Your home is your haven from all the elements, only let an experienced professional work on it.